Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Great Converter

"She is the cornerstone of the farm. The great converter. She takes grass --that ubiquitous terrestrial plankton--and uses the four-part trick of rumination to unlock its cellulose, release its energy." --Kristin Kimball (The Dirty Life) Of course she is referring to the extraordinary dairy cow. My sister-in-law has one. I want one. She says to think twice about this decision... I already have. I want to milk the cow, skim the cream for my coffee and eat the fresh, soft cheese that I will craft by hand. Will it get old? I hope not. I am ready for this amazing miracle just like the gathering of those hen's eggs!! I love the simplicity of the farm life. More like the constancy and steadfastness of ordinary. Gotta go....hubby needs a ride home from his construction shop. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment