Monday, September 17, 2012

Saving the Vineyard

I spent the other night in my friend Baerbell's vineyard. We were rescuing the beautiful clusters of red and white grapes from the robins that were hungrily attacking; methodically stripping the vines of their luscious fruits. Tomorrow she harvests. I have to go to "Chopped" and will not be able to attend the party. DANG!! I have looked forward to this moment since June.

But I am thankful to have been able to relieve her of her vineyard vigil for one night as she returned to her bed in the house for some rest. My friend, her husband and myself slept in our bedrolls right next to the vines only to arise in the morning to find that the robins had doubled their efforts and called all their friends to join in the robbery!

We managed to scare them off time and time again with the shot gun blasts, but robins are not easily swayed. Who knew? We eventually wrapped all the bunches with netting in the hope of preserving them for Tuesday morning.

I can hardly wait to taste the wine. She will transport the grapes to Billings to a vintner there.

Oh the time in watering a pruning has she invested. I only spent six hours one afternoon early on in the season helping with this process and feel like those shiny black and creamy orbs are my babies too!

I will never look at a robin the same way again!











No comments:

Post a Comment