Monday, January 7, 2013

Humble

Took Addy to a team sorting practice on Saturday. It was fun to meet new people and get her out of her pen for a day. Winter seems exceptionally cold this year. It was thirty five degrees there--approximately 30 degrees warmer than at our house!

Needless to say, we were sadly inept at the whole process. Addy has only been near cows on the open range and not in a small herd of steers cramped in an indoor arena with forty other horse/rider pairs milling around, and a sound system blaring in her ears. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making excuses. But, I have only sorted cattle once and on a borrowed horse.

I couldn't even get Addy to approach the cattle without running through my legs to get away from them. It would seem that when they faced her directly, she was horrified. Maybe I was horrified and the feeling transfered to her!(ok... I was horrified!) At any rate, my new girlfriend there had to forfeit her ride/money (twice) and go into the herd with me just to get Addy anywhere near those smelly, furry monsters. By the last time we entered the herd, my mare actually put her head down, laid her ears back and moved in behind a steer we had cut out.

The gal I went to the event with warmed up together amidst the mob, but politely backed down when the time came to sign up to participate. She said she thought better of it being so uncomfortable with the crowd. This was not so for yours truly! I marched right up to that table, gave my name and handed the clerk my $20. "Pair me up with anyone," I announced. I am a firm believer in the saying "Strangers are only friends we haven't met yet!"

On the ride home it dawned on me how much of a greenhorn I must have appeared to the regulars there that day. Good thing you really only have to do that once. Next time, (heck yes, I'm going back!) I won't be the new kid with the green horse. Addy is a quick study and so is her master. This is such a fun sport.

A good dose of humility goes a long, long way. At least now I know what to practice on those cold winter days here at home, outside-- against the elements. I need some steers. "Oh Construction Man..."

No comments:

Post a Comment