Thursday, February 21, 2013

deeper well...

In my reading today whilst on the elliptical, I realized I have not been dipping into the deeper well that has been offered to me--that has been offered to all of us. I have spent a lion's share of winter complaining about the weather. Something I cannot change. I have been dwelling on the loss of loved ones. Something I cannot change. I have been been very self centered and focused on what I want, what I think, what I feel. I'm sad. I'm sick. I'm hungry. I'm tired. I'm, me, me, me... my, my, my. Bob Seger put it in a song when he sang how he was 'tired of his own voice.' NOW THIS IS SOMETHING I CAN CHANGE!

The negativity has to cease!

A question came to my attention this morning: "What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

If you know me, you know I am a big fan/follower of Jesus Christ and enjoy reading His Bible. I especially love the stories about the un-named women in the Bible. John 4 tells of a woman at a well. She is a broken soul in need of refreshing. Little did she know she would encounter God when she showed up in the heat of that day to dip from Jacob's well. Jesus gave her his take on water, wells and eternal life. He did not look down his nose at her for her past failures or her negative outlook on life. He did not give up on her as she steered clear of religion, worship and church people during the course of their conversation. He was so focused on her well being.... just like Jesus to put everything else aside to take care of that one lost sheep.

That day, that unknown woman forever deemed "the Samaritan woman at the well," was given a deeper well to draw from. She was given a new perspective. She went away with a whole new point of view! She went away with resources and wisdom to live out the rest of her days.

My memory is short. I forget so easily how much I am loved by God, my family and friends. I forget that spring has not forgotten to come... it's just not time yet. I forget that it's not all about me. I forget that I too have wisdom and a deeper well to draw from when the going gets tough.{A spring of water welling up to eternal life.} I forget to look up. I forget to look out. I forget to do a simple, kind deed for someone else to help me forget about myself for awhile. Forgive me and thank you 'book on elliptical' for the reminder.

God is still holy and good. Even when we forget.

What would I attempt to do if I knew I could not fail?
Have less fear of the unknown.
Love more. Speak sweeter words.
Go to cooking school in Italy and commandeer a local restaurant!
Ride the most amazing little horse and cut cows on her.
Finish all those books I've started writing.
Laugh even louder than I already do... maybe just longer.
See more of my family.
Believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment