Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Riding with Buck!

Well I am back... actually got home on Monday afternoon, I look up and it's Wednesday. Of course the best part about riding with Buck was coming home to all three of my daughters and my lovely husband, all here in one place. Even if it was for only a few hours before one of them was off and running again.

The weekend was amazing. Stupendous. Fascinating. Informational. Laughable. Humbling. Confidence building. Eye opening.

Let's start at amazing.
I was amazed that we arrived right on time Friday morning. Class started at nine a.m.. We unloaded, saddled up and began to warm up our horses. Into the arena came Buck leading his rose gray quarter horse mare on which he had only about forty rides. Nobody said a word. It was just like he was one of the twenty five already in the arena. He proceeded to warm up his horse and soon everyone was gathered around him watching his every move. After a time, he began to speak.

Stupendous: causing great astonishment especially because of great size or height; tremendous, prodigious, monumental, monstrous. (Webster's definition)
I was thrown into astonishment at the height of my nervous tension and inability to relax and get anything from my horse in the first few hours of the first day. Can we say green horse and nervous rider equal poor hands, timing and thought process. One of the first things he asked us to do was a very small, tight serpentine. Buck said this would exorcize any and all demons lurking about in us and our horses. This was truly monumental by the last day when Addy and Diane were "serpentining" all over that arena!

Fascinating.
The amount of knowledge that man possesses is fascinating to me. Mind you he graduated in 1979. So did I. He has ridden for 40 years. So have I. Ray Hunt and Tommy Dorance must have been far better than my teachers over the years! Just saying... But perhaps it was his ability to convey the information in the hopes that we, the students, would soon apply it to wisdom. Can I just say I learned more in four days than I did in two years in the equestrian program at our local college?!

Informational.
Though his videos were pricey, I did purchase a Mecate. Buck calls it a Mecarte. That's ok-- he's Buck Brannaman, he can call it anything he wants! I learned how to ride with the Mecate, lead and tie up the horse with it as well. Very useful on the trail.

Laughable.
Trying to articulate asking questions was strangely humorous. Which leads us straight into humbling.

Humbling.
I certainly found out that I am not the "horse trainer" that I thought I was! This is a positive thing though... I can be taught. I am teachable! Yeah! I'm not a 'know-it-all'.

Confidence building.
One valuable tool he put into our tool boxes was the stop. No matter what state of mind that horse is in I can safely stop her anytime, anywhere! Thanks Buck for being concerned with our safety.

Eye opening.
Since I sold all of my horses (got out of the horse business) several years ago, I forgot how easily it is to make riding, training and horsing around the center of my universe. IT'S NOT! My eyes were opened to the maturing that has taken place in me over the years, and the ability to prioritize and recognize what's really important and what can be discarded. Also, I have more patience than I've ever had before! This is shocking!

Addy is better for the weekend. Diane is better for the weekend. We bonded. We formed a trust between a horse and her woman! I love that little gal. She really came through and gave her all to please me.

Learning and stretching at the age of fifty. Who'd a thunk it! I thank God for my health and ability to be able to go and do such physical activities. And for Construction Man and his support in all of this horse stuff. I have been blessed.



We watched the Ranch Roping class each day after we were done with our class. This a pict of Buck on his roping horse.







No comments:

Post a Comment