Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunday Songs

"Well I woke up Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt.
And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert;
then I fumbled in my closet, through my clothes, and found my cleanest dirty shirt.
Then I washed my face and combed my hair, and stumbled down the stairs to meet the day.

I smoked my mind the night before with cigarettes and songs I'd been pickin'
But I lit my first and watched a small kid playing with a can he was kickin';
Then I walked across the street and caught the Sunday smell of someone fryin' chicken.
And Lord, it took me back to something that I'd lost somewhere, somehow along the way.

On a Sunday morning sidewalk, I'm wishing Lord that I was stoned;
cause there's something in a Sunday makes a body feel alone.
And there's nothing short a'dying, that's half as lonesome as the sound
of a sleeping city sidewalk and Sunday morning coming down."
~~Kris Kristofferson (As sung by Johnny Cash)

This song really takes me back to being a little girl and reminds me of my Uncle Earl whom has since passed away. He was a very handsome man who played a mean game of poker, euchre, and loved to drink beer, cook, and was a potato farmer in Michigan.

The imagery of the lyrics are genius. And when Johnny Cash sings this song it'll bring tears to my eyes every time.

The Sunday smell of someone frying chicken... that is exactly what Sunday smells like. My mother would get us all ready and send us off to St Mary's with my dad each Sunday. She stayed behind to take a bath, clean the house, start the laundry and get Sunday dinner on. Nobody ever tried harder than those two! Oh my, how loved were we! And do you know something? I never knew just how much I was/am loved until I had children of my own. So much work to see to it that the children were clean, fed, clothed, entertained, loved... Imagine God, our Father in Heaven, loving us all with such a perfect love.

Of such things I do not understand... His perfect love. But the way Cash sings Sunday Morning Coming Down, of this loneliness, I do understand. Somedays almost too much to bear. Then I think of how much my parents, my husband and my children love me, and realize they were sent by God to do such a wonderful act. Then... I am humbled and grateful.

Thank you for loving me, Lord. I love you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment