Saturday, January 14, 2012

Horseman Wisdom

Went to Frannie Tack Shop yesterday to look at saddles. The owner was there and was more than willing to school me in some differences between reining and cutting saddles. I sat in two and decided on the cutter. My horse isn't quite ready for a new saddle so it'll be about 30 days or so.

We got to talking before we left the shop and sharing about breaking horses and raising kids. The shop owner mentioned how each child is an individual and not all kids are cut out for academia. Some are tradesmen, destined for vocational school and to force them into something else may not work out too well. (He spoke from experience, so did I!)

He also drew a parallel that a horse cannot be trained for every job, (or even what you would want from the horse) but should be schooled according to how they are bred and how they are physically and emotionally put together. Some are cutters, some are headers and heelers, and some are trail horses. The trainer needs to recognize the individuals particular talents/bents and encourage in these directions for a happy, successful horse and training experience.

I enjoyed my visit, the discount on the supplies I purchased, and the wisdom from a fellow parent/horse trainer.
I'll be going back there to buy a new saddle in the spring. I am thankful for folks around these parts. They are so friendly and willing to share a little bit of their life with others!


My new filly's granddad.

No comments:

Post a Comment