Tuesday, December 20, 2011

despair vs. courage

The last few days have been glorious. From getting our baby home from college for the next three weeks, having a family dinner with just the five of us, to spending peaceful, laughing times with Construction Man after 28 years, to visiting with my daddy on the phone, to having lunch with two of my very best girlies and exchanging our "Aunt Charlotte" gifts. Then, getting a Christmas puppy called Hank... who had a very good first night at the house of Whitlock; and in my morning time of "recharge!" coming to a place of understanding for the first time in a long time...

"Do one thing everyday that scares you." Eleanor Roosevelt

This is courage. I fear in my grief I had gone down to despair--the opposite of courage. Am I saying one always has to be strong? NO! When we are weak we are very strong through Him who loved us and gave His life up for us.

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." Jesus Christ

I'm saying it's OK to mourn deeply. In fact, we need to mourn deeply to learn what it is like to be comforted. It's OK to be sad and recognize this sadness. But, we need to also recognize the comfort when it is given. Times of relief have been offered. Times of solace have been laid out before me. Thankfully, folks have wept with me and sat silent while I have tried to sort all of this out. Thank you.

Amidst the grief, peace is here. That doesn't make it hurt any less... but it will.

Be very afraid!! :)

My girlies: Cindy in the middle and Robin on the right.

Hank the cow dog... puppy extraordinaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment