Sunday, December 4, 2011

Having more moments...

In my sister's funeral card/program we included the poem by Nadine Stair: "If I Had My Life to Live Over." This was framed on her wall, above her bed. We stood there that day after she was gone and wondered what we could put in that little paper that would sum up her life. What sums up any life? Obviously it's not the stuff you obtain! More about stuff later! In reading the Bible, I have learned that life is summed up in relationships. Not necessarily referring to just those you are related to, though these can be the most difficult to maintain, but how you treat people in general. People are everywhere. It's all about relationships. My sister was very good at making people feel special. She is greatly missed as the gaping hole of her love for each of us goes unfilled. How did she do that? How did she seize the moment to call, send a card, smile and offer soft words of wisdom? How do I live now? Now, I make the call. I send the card. I offer soft words of wisdom-- following her fine example. "Oh, I've had my moments, and if I had to do it over again, I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead of each day." I'm fifty now. You could say my life is half over. You could say... I could live till I'm 88 or die tomorrow. But I do have right now. I do have a heart full of the sweetest, most amazing memories of family and friends. A life lived full, well-lived, and lived well. If I had my life to live over, I'd tell my family and friends "I love you" more often. Everyday... I LOVE YOU!!! Praise be to God!
My sis, Cheri, and our nieces on her birthday two years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment