Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Magnificence

"Stand on the edge of magnificence and forget about ourselves for awhile."
~~ John Piper

It's true... we can actually forget about ourselves for awhile when we stand on the edge of magnificence. Take the Grand Canyon for instance. It's so huge... it's so beautiful. What's even more beautiful is watching my girls when they were very little standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon and peering out over the expansiveness of it all. The sun was going down and we were on our family vacation to go see "Free Willy" in San Diego. We stopped off to see one of the Seven Wonders of the world. The peach, orange, and hues of sienna and rust dominated the landscape. I felt so small...

For a minute I forgot who I was. I forgot the enormous task of being somebody's mother, somebody's wife, somebody's daughter or friend. For a minute I forgot about pleasing everyone all the time and trying to be good enough, smart enough, beautiful enough. For a minute, there was something bigger than me. Bigger than my world. Bigger than the sum of my thoughts.

For a minute, The Creator came into view, as the heavens and the earth declared His glory.

Oh what I wouldn't give for just more moments of His glory.

This Christmastime enjoy the baby in the manger. The greatest show of God's love for His creation. Who'd of thunk God would leave His throne in glory to come to earth and save a wretch like me? From where He stands, God certainly does have a better picture of what really matters. Jesus came to free us from ourselves.

Standing at the edge of that manger on the evening of His birth, must have been some magnificence. I bet nobody there that night was thinking of much else than that beautiful sight to behold!

Canyon de Chelly

Sweet little girls at a church we got to build in Mexico

Sunrise over Powell, Wyoming

No comments:

Post a Comment