Thursday, March 8, 2012

Line Driving Outdoors


I have been line driving Addy for the last few weeks. Today I showed up at the barn and readied her for driving but the arena was being used for a class that I was unaware of-- Thursdays from ten to one.

So, I lead her around the back of the barn yard amidst the huge round hay bales, farm implements, and cars whizzing by on the nearby road.

I lead her back to the hitching post and proceeded to hook her up to the long driving lines. Off we went! Soon enough the surrounding fields of curious horses began to line the fence. We had quite an audience before it was over. We walked, trotted circles and practiced plenty of stopping and backing. She showed off "real good" in front of her stable mates! It was amazing to me that I had her in hand the whole time even though she shied a bit in various places. We made laps around the outside of the arena, up and down the canal bank road and after about a half an hour, back to the hitching post. She rocked!

The next step is getting on. Can we say helmet? I'm not above that these days. Oh, she is going to be spectacular in the cutting arena. I can hardly wait. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment